Nevada Rules of Civil Procedure; Rule 60

Nevada Rules of Civil Procedure

Rule 60. Relief From a Judgment or Order

(a)     Corrections Based on Clerical Mistakes; Oversights and Omissions. The court may correct a clerical mistake or a mistake arising from oversight or omission whenever one is found in a judgment, order, or other part of the record. The court may do so on motion or on its own, with or without notice. But after an appeal has been docketed in the appellate court and while it is pending, such a mistake may be corrected only with the appellate court’s leave.

(b)     Grounds for Relief From a Final Judgment, Order, or Proceeding. On motion and just terms, the court may relieve a party or its legal representative from a final judgment, order, or proceeding for the following reasons:

(1)     mistake, inadvertence, surprise, or excusable neglect;

(2)    newly discovered evidence that, with reasonable diligence, could not have been discovered in time to move for a new trial under Rule 59(b);

(3)    fraud (whether previously called intrinsic or extrinsic), misrepresentation, or misconduct by an opposing party;

(4)     the judgment is void;

(5)    the judgment has been satisfied, released, or discharged; it is based on an earlier judgment that has been reversed or vacated; or applying it prospectively is no longer equitable; or

(6)     any other reason that justifies relief.

(c)      Timing and Effect of the Motion.

(1) Timing. A motion under Rule 60(b) must be made within a reasonable time—and for reasons (1), (2), and (3) no more than 6 months after the date of the proceeding or the date of service of written notice of entry of the judgment or order, whichever date is later. The time for filing the motion cannot be extended under Rule 6(b).

(2) Effect on Finality. The motion does not affect the judgment’s finality or suspend its operation.

(d)   Other Powers to Grant Relief. This rule does not limit a court’s power to:

(1)   entertain an independent action to relieve a party from a judgment, order, or proceeding;

(2)   upon motion filed within 6 months after written notice of entry of a default judgment is served, set aside the default judgment against a defendant who was not personally served with a summons and complaint and who has not appeared in the action, admitted service, signed a waiver of service, or otherwise waived service; or

(3)     set aside a judgment for fraud upon the court.

(e)    Bills and Writs Abolished. The following are abolished: bills of review, bills in the nature of bills of review, and writs of coram nobis, coram vobis, and audita querela.

Advisory Committee Note—2019 Amendment

The amendments generally conform Rule 60 to FRCP 60, including incorporating FRCP 60(b)(6) as Rule 60(b)(6). The Rule 60(c) time limit for filing a Rule 60(b)(l)-(3) motion, however, remains at 6 months consistent with the former Nevada rule. Rule 60(d)(2) preserves the first sentence of former NRCP 60(c) respecting default judgments. The amendments eliminate the remaining portion of former NRCP 60(c) and former NRCP 60(d) as superfluous.

Published by

Jay Young, Mediator and Arbitrator

Jay Young is a Las Vegas, Nevada attorney. His practice focuses on acting as an Arbitrator and Mediator. Mr. Young can be reached at 702.667.4828 or at The information provided on this site does not, and is not intended to constitute legal advice. You understand each legal matter should be considered to be unique and subject to varying results. You should not take or refrain from taking action based on any information contained on this website without first consulting legal counsel, as it is not intended to advise you on your particular matter. Further, you understand that no guarantee is given that the information contained herein is an accurate statement of the law at any given point in time, as the law is constantly changing. Guest bloggers are responsible for their own content, which is not to be construed as an article authored by Jay Young. Please see

Leave a Reply