Long term care insurance covers you for the expense of a in-home nursing care, nursing home, hospice care, assisted living, adult daycare, respite care, and Alzheimer’s facilities. As with any other insurance plan, long term care insurance seeks to protect you against a major loss that you can ill afford. When you think of it, the odds of needing nursing home care are a lot higher than
losing your house to fire. Yet, we don’t think of being without homeowners insurance. It is something to consider for yourself or for an aging loved one.
There are five major reasons why people buy long term care insurance:
- It allows you to maintain your independence so you won’t have to rely on family members;
- It helps to protect your assets against the high costs of long term care;
- It will help preserve wealth and/or your children’s inheritance;
- It helps make long term care services affordable, such as home health care and custodial care; and
- It will help provide you with more options than just nursing home care, and to pay for nursing home care if it’s needed.
As with any insurance product, you will need to perform a risk/benefit analysis to determine if this coverage is necessary for you. Take into consideration your current health, family history, your age, etc.